Charming, welcoming, restful. Ngor Almadies, near westernmost tip of African continent, business district, beaches & restaurants. Spacious interior, ocean view terrace, garden, airport pickup, cooking, laundry,10MB Wi-Fi all included.
This is a house we bought when we lived in Senegal. We have now moved to Paris, and use it as a vacation home.
The housekeeper is a great cook, who has worked for families from all over the world, and can prepare your lunch at no extra cost for as long as you purchase, or give her money to purchase, the ingredients. She is available from Monday to Friday.
The house is guarded 24/7.
The house includes 3 ensuite bedrooms (including one kid-friendly for 2 + 1 crib), living & dining room, garden and roof terrace all to yourself.
- Airport pickup
- Laundry service included
- 1 full time housekeeper in charge of cleaning, cooking, shopping and laundry, 1 night keeper
- Dedicated 10 MB ADSL Wi-Fi (highest available locally, although in practice closer to 6 MB)
- Great location (see detail below), especially for business in Almadies area or vacation. 90 yards from the ocean.
- 3 rooms: 2 double-bed rooms, 1 kids room with 2 bunk beds & 1 crib
- 860 sq. ft. living + dining room
- 1070 sq. ft. garden
- 2000 sq. ft. roof terrace with partial ocean view
- Powder room
- 40 inch plasma TV, set-top box, Chromecast
- 2x Bluetooth stereos (one in living room, one in master bedroom)
- Fridge, coffee machine, kettle, microwave
- Autonomous A/C units in bedrooms + living/dining room
- Solar + battery electricity back-up system (12 hours)
- Also, while I initially had planned on leaving it locked, I can provide access to an office/study room. Please note it only includes a fan, not A/C, but is usually pretty cool with the ocean breeze.
Zugang für Gäste
You will have full access to the house with no restriction.
Interaktion mit Gästen
We won't physically interact with guests (unless we run into each other in Paris where we live :) but our trusted housekeeper, house cleaner + night keeper will be fully available to help, and we will also be reachable via phone or email at any time.
Weitere wichtige Infos
- While the house is near the ocean (90 yards), the ocean view on the terrace is sideways (on both sides), and not frontal, due to a house blocking the view. Still very pleasant, but I want to manage expectations :)
- While there is a small beach near the house, it is not ideal for swimming and, within walking distance, I recommend either the private beaches in the hotels/restaurants nearby, Ngor public beach, Virage beach or Ngor island.
- There can sometimes be power outages in Dakar (although fortunately it's become less frequent), and while most expats go for diesel power generators, we invested in a solar panel + battery back-up system. It's a bit more expensive but has the advantage of being silent, odor-less, completely autonomous and, obviously, more environmentally friendly. The downside is that it cannot support water boiler or A/C, so there are back-up fans to be used in case of power outages during the hot season.
- Staff are fantastic and have been with us for years, which is why we decided to keep them in this new configuration, but there is one downside: they do not really speak English (they speak French, the official language, and Wolof, the majority ethnic language): in the case of any issue an online translation tool can't fix, I'm only a phone call/email away :)
- No smoking inside please
- While we want to make sure you feel at home and enjoy yourself, please don't throw a party and, more generally, be respectful of the fact that it's a calm residential neighborhood. Do however feel free to have a few people over for a meal or drinks.
- The biggest cost variable from my end is the cost of electricity for air conditioning: because I want to give guest great value, I've based my pricing on a conservative estimate. And whereas I absolutely want you to be 100% comfortable (and never hot unless you want to), thanks in advance for thinking of turning it off when you leave and other such good practices :)
- I'm not requesting a deposit to make it easier for my guests, and I also realize that some basic wear tear is par for the course. Please help me keep it that way!
I work in technology and am passionate about what the internet can do for the African continent. I used to be based in Senegal, where my wife is from, which is why we bought a house here. We are now back in Paris, but go to Senegal twice a year.